Saturday, March 21, 2015

Emergence










Photo by Stephanie Landis
Emergence

Waiting. Body still, eyes
absorbing the quiet morning; thirsty soul drinks in the beauty. Yesterday’s snow laces
the pines, a thin veil of cloud mists the sunrise. Moments later, sky brightens, revealing snow geese silhouetted by gray light.













Their honks beat
a longing in my soul- oh how
I ache to fly with white wing, up and up,
soar! Belonging - right there third in the row –
following the impossible
 pull of instinct, urgency.











housefinch eggs: photo by Stephanie Landis


Does spring pulse in my
soul, tugging me toward conception, nesting,
a turning and breaking of shells?  
First, I must work for emerging,
struggle, grieve the loss of womb, cave, 
hearth. I tremble, even as I stretch

toward what is dawning.  Dreams 
incubate, impatient to pip. Embracing reality
- challenge enough. How do I engage what  
is forming, stuff too new own?  Too 
strange, unfamiliar, so downy
and vulnerable.





I weep my goodbyes, reach 
for tomorrow, catching hints of 
yellow, newlings tumbling 
about, tripping through grasses,
bobbing on currents, comforted under wings
surprisingly there. Feasting on life, and
the softness of Mother.


photo by Owen Newman







No comments:

Post a Comment