Monday, June 17, 2013

Family, Yoga and Giggling Legs



Extended family yoga captured by Francette Bueno

This past weekend I attended an extended family reunion.  I’m still fondly remembering the fun and love we shared, especially one experience.  On Saturday morning we did yoga together, led by my sister, Elle Bieling.  While discussing where there would be enough space for all of us to do yoga together,  my niece’s daughter, a delightful six year old that is full of chat and energy, expressed her intentions to join us.  We all smiled, figuring she’d last about five minutes before losing interest. Elle encouraged her but also cautioned that this yoga was geared for adults and she would have to be respectful, stay on her mat, not giggle out loud, talk, or play, especially not during the meditative parts.   Abby nodded, grinning.  
Ten minutes before the start of yoga, a group of us walked down the hill toward the soccer field where we agreed to meet.  Elle and Abby led us, Abby chattering and laughing the whole way.  Once again, she was gently reminded of the need for silence and meditation while holding poses.
As we positioned our mats and towels on the grass, I chose a spot directly behind Abby.  When I wasn’t attending to my own body and interior, I watched the little girl. From my observations, she entered this experience with her whole heart, mind and body.  Abby posed and meditated, tucked lovingly in the middle of our big family.   I was proud of her for stating her intention, and then following through with disciplining her talkative self into meditative silence when necessary.  I now have a perfect example to give anyone who questions me - is silence and meditation only for introverts or people with a reflective personality?  
All the children doing yoga with the adults in our family gave me such joy!   I don’t know if the other kids stayed through the whole hour, as Abby did; they were not in my line of vision.  I do know that Abby’s focus and presence touched me.  
I doubt she was plagued with adult things like understanding the instructions, comparing herself to the other bodies in the field, wondering if she was doing the pose correctly, or if the teacher noticed her. She just showed up, present and grateful.  For a whole hour in the morning heat and sun, Abby followed the movements, stayed on her mat, remained quiet and respectful.  She trusted. She moved.  She belonged to the bigger whole.  Near the end, during the shoulder stand pose, her little legs waved gaily in the air above her head.  She giggled silently with her legs.  
And when it was over, as we all lay in Shavasana - corpse pose -relaxing, integrating, letting go, Abby relaxed on her small towel and let go so completely she fell asleep.     
I couldn’t help musing how children so often remind us adults how to live, and how yoga and meditation is really not just for adults. I hope there are more children like Abby catching an idea that something beautiful happens in our bodies and souls during contemplative movement and prayer.
 
Joyfully,
Sharon


Elle Bieling’s website  www.thebodywindow.com

Matthew 18:3  ~ Unless you become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment