Sunday, March 10, 2013





                        Color my Soul


Creator God, Sofia, Gaia, Mother,
color my soul in rich hues!
Paint me with contentment in earthy brown,
splash me with invigorating orange,
shower me in blue and green wonder like sea and sky,
flood me in precious chartreuse moments, and
bold pink laughter.

I am vibrant, alive with song!
Heart of my heart, help me reach
for intimacy with life itself,
celebrate my depths, embrace reality
with flung out arms, open hands.   

When I forget, hunched over and dull, sing
hope to me.  Fill my chest
with songs of lament, of joy, of
perseverance. And, I shall respond by
loving the ordinary. 

All the wondrous ordinary! Flashes of red, expanse
of sky, Mozart Symphony No 41,
fingernails!  Coffee, giggles, sunrise, clattering
chickens of Suk Shuglie. I shall notice and
honor each pump of wing, each small stirring of soul
and soft mammal.  I shall soften, rejoice. 



Like every other thing alive in spring, my juices are stirring.  Things are happening!  I am writing a book with my brother, Don.  A lovely book weaving theological reflections with stories about developing a mellower stance to life.  I can't wait to share it with all of you!  In the process of writing, I continue to mellow myself.  
 
I had an epiphany yesterday. I've been hiding my poetic nature, my artistic bent and I'm no longer going to do so. This is probably no surprise to any of you, and it isn't really to me either, but I I'm going to more fully embrace that part of me, bring it all home, hug-nourish-integrate it so it can pip, fledge, and take flight! 
 

 
 
 
  I am an artist who paints with words.
 
 
There, I said it aloud.
 
 
Breathe.     Open.      Dream.      Smile.   
 
Repeatedly I need to tell myself:  breathe deeply and smile all the way down to your liver.  Welcome home all parts of yourself.  Mellow, awaken, enliven!
 
 
I feel the need for a fresh start, so watch for a new blog. My spirit still sings, but in my desire to bring home my truest self, I need an infusion of color!  
 
 
Along with the Mellow Heart book I'm co-authoring with my brother Don, I'm helping collect meditations from staff and students at Kairos School of Spiritual Formation for a contemplative book.  In the dream phase yet:  a photo/poetry book with my daughter (yes, Stephanie?), a children's book about my dog Hutch ....AND a contemplative book of my very own  -
a Color My Soul sort of book.
 
So many dreams and projects!  Gulp. 
 
 
 Breathe deeply. 
 
 
  Smile,
                 
                       ....all
 
                                        the
 
                                                  way
 
                                                                        down...
 
 
 
Joyfully,
Sharon
 
 


Burren and Massey, my two favorite soft mammals.....







And one more red wing photo...

2 comments:

  1. I loved that poem at the start, lovely, lovely stuff! And I still have dreams of creating that poetry/photo book with you. Someday we will get back to it!

    ReplyDelete