Sunday, April 26, 2015

A Morning Like This



This is the morning I finally succumb to sick.
Sick at heart – reading earthquakes in Nepal, uprisings
over race and cops, and thousands of other  stuff
on social media …mostly trivial matters , but
human.
Sick of voice, larynx on fire, throat dry and swollen.
I've given up; letting this virus have its way
with me. Perhaps now, healing can begin.

This is the morning my dog eats a nest of baby bunnies,
soft and downy. I turn my back, asking Death to come
quick and painless, while my eyes tear up
for babies everywhere lost, dying
abandoned.
Sick of mind, knowing the ways of this earth. Of
predator and hunter, unfairness and bullying. Of human
vulnerability expressed in art and poetry and innocence.

This is the morning my dad shoots a squirrel; pest digging
In flower beds, and discovers the bedridden woman two
houses down fondly watched that squirrel every
day. Imagine his chagrin and her loss. Sorry, just so
sorry.
This is the morning bluebirds come back. Harbingers
of joy;  the dying one’s  symbol of hope. This is the morning

all is well, of exquisite sunrise, of open heart and silent voice.




6 comments:

  1. Yes, this also. I keep finding deeper levels of this simple statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely reflections: struggle to find my own voice as i too weigh grief with birth, broken heart with hopeful longing, peace amidst turmoil, dying while embracing life, the paradox of all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard sometimes, June. Holding the paradoxes. We can only be present to each other, honor what we feel and experience, and walk on as we can, as we are ready. I really have no answers. The older I get the less I know for sure, which somehow seems appropriate. Except for love. Love, I know; Love never changes.

    ReplyDelete