Thursday, January 26, 2012

       From the moment they met, Massey snubbed Zsa Zsa. He was not swayed by her cuteness, had no compassion for her travel weariness, her fears over ending up in this strange place separated from her siblings. He refused to acknowledge her presence.  He is selfish, willful and wants attention.  He reminds me of myself on really bad days!  Thankfully, he doesn’t hold a grudge forever.  If I give him space, respect his opinion, or distract and redirect, he eventually does what I expect of him.   

Massey is a Jack Russell Terrier.  Zsa Zsa is my new foster pup, a Catahoula Leopard Dog mix.  Mostly, I keep the two dogs separate although they can see each other through a baby gate. Every night I put Massey in his crate, Zsa Zsa in hers, and hope the 'together but separated' thing will get them used to each other in a non-threatening way. 
 

This 'together but separated' reminds me of when my kids were young. Sometimes their  tussles  got  the best of them.  If no amount of hugs or apologies could soothe hurt feelings and restore play, I’d sometimes hand each child a rag and a squirt bottle, march them to opposite sides of the door and tell them to spray and wipe the glass until they felt better.   If really young, the invitation to squirt and slop brought instant delight.  As they grew so did their ability to stay upset. Rags were taken with much eye rolling and grumping.  Sometimes it took two doors and a couple windows but eventually they figured out no matter how violent the squirting and scrubbing, one kid could never rub the other out.  The trying always caused contorted facial expressions that resulted in laughter and a new readiness for play.  If only adult conflicts could be so easily remedied!   


Days later, Massey's chill does begin to thaw.  And, as the photos reveal, the two are becoming tentative friends.  They are very different breeds with very different backgrounds and very different needs. Yet, they find common ground in just being dogs.  Dogs often inspire me.  I wonder why humans aren't as eager to find common ground in their humanity. 



Savor your friendships.  Be open to new ones, even with those who aren't like you.  Laugh and play a lot!  It really is that simple. :)



Joyfully,
Sharon

See Zsa Zsa’s story at http://bonniebluerescue.wordpress.com/)  I love Bonnie Blue Rescue’s motto:  Bringing families together one pup at a time!  Are you looking for a doggie companion?  If so, please check out Bonnie Blue Rescue.  www.bonniebluerescue.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment