Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Endings and Beginnings

I graduated from Kairos School of Spiritual Formation last weekend!! Since the weekend came during my time of lowered white cell counts, and with flu going around, I decided to forgo all the congratulatory hugging and kissing after class. Instead, I presented my friends with pens and they decorated my head. Enjoy the photos!



Instant bangs!
















Yes, I’m in the midst of endings: end to five years as a student at Kairos, end of chemotherapy for lymphoma. I feel lost, though the feeling is more celebratory than confused or sad, as I wander around in the strange space between closure and new adventures.






While my body requires rest and continued healing, my mind is active with ideas, questions and decisions for the future. Two big goals reached feels exciting, wonderful and a tad unsettling.



me with certificate!




I’m doing well this week and my sprained ankle is improving. Last week I experienced very odd sensations in my feet, slightly painful, and somewhat like when your foot ‘falls asleep’ from poor circulation and the blood rushes back into the area. I cut back on the vitamin B 6 supplements, which I read could help in healing the nervous system, and this week the odd sensations have stopped. The numbness in my fingers is lessening, and while the soles of my feet are still numb, there is less burning and tingling in my feet. All authorities say it takes six months to a year for this to happen, yet, I am experiencing it now. The affirmations continue to assist my body in regaining balanced health. Thanks be to God the healing abilities of the mind and body!




This is my 'good week'. How wonderful to know my good week will simply move into another good week and another, God willing, until they all blend into the rest of my life. What will I focus on now, how fast will I bounce back from chemo, what life lessons will I take with me? Will I continue my education, focus on writing, building my spiritual direction practise, or find a healthy balance of all? As Macrina Wiederkehr so eloquently says: "I stand before what is, and dwell in possibilities!"










Joyfully,
Sharon

...and it ends with a braid.







1 comment: